Introducing My Study Abroad Partner

August 14th, 2012 kaolse14

Rachel and me posing with a bust of Lenin in Suzdal, Russia during the summer study abroad program.

I have exactly 18 days until I arrive in the Motherland to begin my study abroad adventure(s). That makes this the perfect opportunity to introduce my study abroad companion: Rachel Gannon.

Rachel and I are the two Holy Cross students that will be spending the 2012-2013 academic year in Moscow. However, we did not influence each other’s decision to study abroad. In fact, we barely knew each other before the study abroad information sessions began in the fall of 2011. I entered college with the dream of studying abroad in the United Kingdom. However, after taking a Russian language course during the second semester of my freshman year, I experienced a change of heart and decided that I wanted to study abroad in Russia. It wasn’t until last fall that Rachel and I enrolled in the same Russian language course. We immediately became best friends upon discovering that we both wanted to study abroad in Russia.

Why do I need to introduce Rachel? Well, she will likely be a prominent theme in my blog posts and pictures. That is because she is not only a study abroad companion, but also a classmate and a roommate. We will be taking the same Russian language courses in the fall. We will also be living in the same apartment (in different rooms, of course) and, thus, have the same host grandmother, or “babushka.” Both of us already studied in Russia through the Holy Cross summer study abroad program. As we are both adventure-seekers, I anticipate that the academic year will be a blast.

Goodbye for now. I need to make the most of my time at home before I leave again. Today, I must say goodbye (or my preferred “see you soon”) to a friend that is returning to UC Berkeley. I shall see him again in 9 short months!