A Bittersweet Departure

August 31st, 2012 kaolse14

In less than 24-hours, I will board a plane headed for Moscow. The only word that I can fathom to describe my pre-departure feelings is “bittersweet.” I already miss Holy Cross – the friends, the professors, the campus, the familiar atmosphere, the classes, Cool Beans, and everything else about it. It was especially difficult when the first day of fall classes began and I was nowhere near campus. A knot forms in my stomach whenever I think about Holy Cross……..

Those feelings are only secondary to the excitement I feel about study abroad. I’ve been looking forward to the opportunity to study abroad ever since I applied to college. And for over a year now, I’ve been looking forward to studying in the country that I will soon call my second home: Russia.

Was study abroad the right decision for me? Although I leave for Russia tomorrow, I can respond with a confident “yes.” During the summer study abroad program, I felt a strange attachment to Moscow. It felt so foreign yet so familiar all at the same time. I only scratched the surface of the city during those six weeks. Now I can’t wait to discover the rest of Moscow on my own.

Study abroad is an opportunity that I just cannot pass up. I would be kicking myself in a week if I decided to return to Holy Cross for my junior year. I am so grateful to even have the opportunity to embark on this life-changing experience.

Family and friends – I will see you guys in just 10 short months. My adventure has begun. I shall return with some awesome stories.

And now pictures of family and friends…….